Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
JGF_ruins_Portobelo NP_PA-7028.jpg
Spanish cannon at the Customs House in Portobelo.  The Customs House was built in 1637 to store the king's gold before shipment to Spain.  The town of Portobelo was founded in 1597 as a shipping point for Spanish treasure.  The harbor was protected by five Spanish forts.  A UNESCO World Heritage Site.