The Golden Altar in the Church of San Jose in Casco Viejo was originally in the Church of San Jose in Panama Viejo. Henry Morgan, the pirate, sacked the city in 1671, and the altar escaped being plundered because the priests had painted it black. It was moved to the newly constructed church in Casco Viejo in 1673. It is actually carved mahogany and covered with gold leaf. Panama City, Panama. Casco Viejo is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site.